What do Situational Judgement Tests assess?
A Situational Judgement Test or SJT is a type of psychometric test that presents candidates with real-life work situations and then asks them to decide on the best response to that situation. The Sales SJT is a situational judgement test that is specifically geared towards situations that someone in the early stages of their career may encounter across different industries.
Typical roles that would use our Sales SJT are:
1. Sales Executives
2. Customer Service
3. Business Development
Overview of the Sales SJT
Our Sales SJT presents candidates with 12 distinct situations that many graduates might find familiar across a variety of organisations. For each situation, 4 possible responses are given, each presenting a feasible response someone in a role may take. Candidates are asked to review these responses and select 1 response they consider to be ‘ most appropriate’ and another they think would be the ‘least appropriate’. As with all our SJTs, the Sales SJT is untimed but typically takes 10 minutes to complete.
Our Sales SJT measures 3 competencies / behaviours:
1. Purposeful Collaboration: Building and maintaining key relationships.
2. Business Understanding: Understanding and establishing the market and different company requirements, including own company.
3. Driving Peak Performance: Driving sales growth in a systematic, sustainable and scalable manner.
Example Sales SJT Question
Sales SJT - Sample Reports
On completion of the Sales SJT, you can download 2 reports as standard:
1. Recruitment Report, where the content is designed for an organisation and supports a recruitment decision. This report provides tests scores, behavioural interpretation and interview questions.
2. Candidate Report, where the content is designed for a candidate(s) and provides feedback on the test performance. This report provides behavioural interpretation and suggests development goals for improving their competencies.
Free Situational Judgement Test
Take a free situational judgement test designed by Viewpoint Psychology. On completion you will be able to download a detailed report based on your results!
How to do well in your Sales SJT
To do well in a Sales SJT, it is good to implement the following tips…
1. Read the passage: Make sure you fully read and understand the whole passage prior to looking at the responses, as the nuances of the situation will help decide which response is ‘most appropriate’.
2. Think about the next level up: The responses that are ‘most appropriate’ are often those which you would imagine being applicable, not only for the role being tested for, but also at levels higher up. Think about what qualities would not only enable you to do the job but be considered for promotion into a more managerial.
3. Avoid the reactive response: Similarly to looking at the next level up, while the ‘least appropriate’ response will not be obviously incorrect, it is likely to show a lack of leadership or initiative that will prevent someone from being considered for a future promotion.